Translate

Monday, July 10, 2023

A Legacy Of Seeking to Right Racist Wrongs

 




By Mary Beardall Hoffman, First Presbyterian, DeLand, Anti-Racism Committee Member

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph if for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

Amos 5:24 But Let Justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream

Micah 6:8 What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with your God

For good people to do nothing. Wow! Are we doing nothing or are we doing something? Growing up in Orlando, I remember the “colored” water fountains in the Dickson-Ives department store. I remember when people of color were not allowed to swim in the ocean at New Smyrna Beach. I remember when people of color were only allowed to attend the Central Florida Fair on Tuesdays. I remember seeing signs posted in the windows of restaurants that said Whites Only. To this day I am haunted by the memory of the director of the Winter Park Youth Center crossing the dance floor to tell our star football player who was having a great time but happened to be black that he had to leave the building. I was paralyzed, traumatized but did nothing.

I experienced racism within my own family. I am embarrassed to say that my maternal grandfather, who was an elder in his Presbyterian church in Montgomery, Alabama, was assigned to guard the door to keep any people of color from entering the worship service. Why would the grandmother that I loved so much tell me not to sit next to any of the students that were being integrated into Glenridge Junior High. Why were my grandparents so upset when my parents entertained people of color in our home? Why!!!

On the flip side, I was blessed to have family members who did speak out and do something. In the fall of 1972 my father, William Beardall wrote this to me in a letter (I am paraphrasing here):

I am very much disturbed at the Orlando Rotary Club. I proposed Rufus Brooks & Wilbur Gary (Principal of Jones) for membership. The board of directors unanimously approved their admittance but they had to be approved by the club as a whole. Several members led a concerted drive by telephone & letter soliciting objections to having a black man as a member. As a result, there were 18 objections out of a club of 231 members. Even after very strong pleas at the board meeting for admitting them by the pastor at 1st Presbyterian and others, 3 board members changed their votes to no which was enough to keep Mr. Brooks & Mr. Gary from membership. The objections included the statement that the club just wasn’t ready to admit a black man at this time. No one raised any objection to their qualifications other than that they were black & there were occasions when we had social functions with the wives or when members had occasion to be invited to other members homes & blacks just would not fit in. It is beyond me to see how people can be so blind. It certainly violates every principal of Rotary. Right now, I'm struggling with the problem of how I can remain a member of a club which takes such a stand, but I have been counseled by members for whom I have a great deal of respect that I should stay in and keep fighting and it will come about sooner than I think. I really don't know which way to go. While I feel that a majority of the club, if given all the facts, would vote in favor of admitting them a small minority can raise enough hell to make the rest feel like they don't want to rock the boat or stir things up. I'm not at all sure that many members of the club want to stand up and be counted or put out the effort it would take to get the board to reverse its actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment