Translate

Monday, August 11, 2014

Vesting Prayers

Historically, clergy of the church have worn vestments, this practice not only has its roots in the Old Testament when priests wore certain clothing designated for worship, (Ex 28:2) but it also helps to connect with the early church practice, has theological significance (pictures those clothed in white washed by the blood of the lamb Rev 7:9), serves as a reminder of Christian baptism, (traditional white robe worn during baptism), and makes several important liturgical statements: that the liturgy is celebrated "in persona Christi" or in Christ's name, (not in the pastor or priests name), and sanctifies the role for the liturgical leaders both lay and clergy.  The white alb, the white robe usually worn with a cincture or cord also represents joy, celebration, resurrection, purity and gladness.  The Chasuble is the poncho like garment worn over the alb during the celebration of Holy Communion (see 2 Tim 4:13), the stole is a strip of cloth or fabric sometimes with Christian symbols is a symbol of ordination, and the cincture, the cord that wraps around the alb is a reminder of purity.

Vesting prayers are sometimes said when vesting, it is a practice that can help focus the minister prior to celebrating worship and Holy Communion.  The following are both traditional vesting prayers of the Roman rite, and a second set of alternative prayers for use when vesting.

Vesting Prayers

Washing of Hands

A.  Give virtue to my hands, O God, that being cleansed from stain, I might serve you with purity of mind and body.

B.  Purify my hands, O Lord, that being cleansed of sin, I may lift them up in praise and call upon your name in holiness.
Alb

A.  Make me white, O Lord, and cleanse my heart; that being made white in the Blood of the Lamb, I may deserve an eternal reward. 

B.  Create in me a clean heart and renew a steadfast spirit in me, uphold me with your Spirit, and renew the joy of your salvation. 

C.  Cleanse my heart, that being made white by the blood of the lamb, I may enter into the joy of your salvation.  

Cincture

A.  Gird me, O Lord, with this cincture of purity, and quench in my heart the fire of concupiscence, that the virtue of continence and chastity may abide in me.

B.  Encompass me, O Lord, with this cincture of purity that I may serve you in holiness.

Stole

A.  Lord, restore the stole of immortality, which I lost with the collusion of our first parents, and unworthy as I am to approach thy sacred mysteries, may I yet gain eternal joy. 

B.  Lord, who said, take my yoke upon you and learn of me for I am gentle and humble at heart, grant that I may so carry it in your infinite love and grace. 

C.  Lord, restore the stole of eternal life undeserving as I am to come before your sacred mysteries, that I may find the joy of your salvation. 

Chasuble

A.  O Lord, who has said, my yoke is sweet and my burden light, grant that I may so carry it as to merit thy grace.
(Chasuble or Alb)
B.  O Lord, who covers me with your grace and mercy, grant that I may put on Christ, and so walk in newness of life, to the glory of your holy name.  

A: traditional Roman rite
B: alternative

Source: A. office of liturgical celebration, Vatican.

Source: B. Rev. Omar R Gonzalez all rights reserved. 2014

First Presbyterian Church Owensboro

Traditional Roman Rite


No comments:

Post a Comment