Translate

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sermon "Abundant Life"

click on this link to access sermon "Abundant Life"



Two essential portions of the Gospel of John link this sermon together, the first Jesus is identified as the "Good Shepherd" that leads us to God, emphasizing that he and the Father are one, Jesus likewise states that those that keep his commandments will also be one with the Father.  "If you love me, you will keep my commandments" and "on that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me and I in you" ( John 10:1-10 and John 14:15-21).  Being "in God" is the abundant life that Jesus brings us to in a mystical union, a future and present hope, and a 'holy communion.'  This is rooted in a concrete command that we follow Jesus in the path of discipleship to love as we have been loved.  Comforted with the promise that we cannot do this in our own strength, we are promised the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, who empowers the church for her mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment